On the subject of tech questions, I’ve gotten all of them. Greater than ever, I’m listening to from folks inundated with requests from older relations to repair their gadgets.
Perhaps they clicked a nasty hyperlink, and their laptop is performing up. Faucet or click on for eight indicators it’s contaminated with malware or different malicious software program.
The issue could also be extra mundane, like textual content too small to learn. A couple of faucets within the settings menu will make their life a lot simpler. Faucet or click on right here to make textual content bigger on a telephone, pill, or laptop.
Presents are nice, however right here’s a present that may final the one you love all yr: A telephone privateness and safety tune-up. Do it this vacation season.
1. Activate emergency and well being settings
A smartphone can save your life if it’s arrange appropriately. It’s essential to set this up.
Within the case of a well being occasion, emergency responders can entry the iPhone Well being app – even when the telephone is locked. Add particulars like your – or the one you love’s – title, age, medical situations, allergy symptoms, and emergency contacts to offer first responders extra info.
The best way to arrange emergency settings on an iPhone
When first opening the Well being app on an iPhone, you are prompted to enter fundamental well being info. You’ll be able to all the time return to replace Well being Particulars.
After you fill out the Well being Particulars part, it’s time to arrange the Medical ID.
• Open the iPhone Well being app, then faucet the profile image.
• Choose Medical ID > Get Began or Edit. Enter any well being info.
• Faucet Emergency Contact and add a trusted individual’s info.
• Faucet Accomplished.
Another step: Permit emergency companies to entry the Medical ID even when the telephone’s display screen is locked. Right here’s what to do:
• Open the Well being app and faucet the profile image.
• Faucet Medical ID > Edit.
• Within the Emergency Entry part, slide the toggles subsequent to Present When Locked and Share Throughout Emergency Name to the appropriate to allow.
Now, first responders will be capable of see vital medical info.
The best way to arrange emergency settings on an Android
If you happen to or the one you love has an Android telephone, comply with these steps. Notice that steps differ relying on what telephone you’re utilizing.
• Go to Settings > Security & emergency.
• Choose Medical Data to enter particulars like title, blood kind, allergy symptoms, and drugs.
• On the backside of the display screen, toggle this setting on: To assist in an emergency, folks can view this information with out unlocking your machine.
Lastly, arrange Emergency Contacts. Simply go to Safety & Emergency settings > Emergency Contacts > Add Contact.
Listed below are a couple of extra methods to share medical info in your Android in an emergency.
2. Ensure there’s all the time a backup in place
A stolen or damaged telephone means you or the one you love may lose all the pieces instantly. That’s why automated backups are so vital.
I heard from one girl who misplaced textual content messages together with her husband after he handed away. She was heartbroken. Faucet or click on for straightforward methods to avoid wasting texts.
To activate iCloud knowledge backup on an iPhone:
• Go to Settings > (title) iCloud > iCloud Drive.
• Toggle on Sync this iPhone.
You get 5GB of free storage with iCloud. If you happen to want extra space, you’ll must pay 99 cents for 50GB, $2.99 for 200GB, and $9.99 for 2TB.
To set an Android to robotically again up, comply with these steps:
• Open the Google One app.
• Faucet Storage and scroll right down to Backup.
• Faucet View > Arrange knowledge backup > Handle backup.
You get 15GB of free cloud storage together with your Google account. If you happen to want extra storage, a Primary Google One plan prices $1.99 month-to-month and comes with 100GB of storage. A Customary plan prices $2.99 month-to-month for 200GB, and a Premium plan prices $9.99 and comes with 2TB of storage.
From there, you’ll be able to select your backup settings.
Extra tech smarts: You’ll be able to ship a textual content out of your laptop. Faucet or click on right here for 5 methods to ship a textual content out of your PC.
3. Silence unknown callers
I hear from people who wish to assist out their dad and mom or grandparents who’ve fallen for telephone scams. Crooks are smarter than ever earlier than, and as soon as they get somebody on the telephone, it is simpler than you’d anticipate to get that individual at hand over private particulars or cash.
This tip will save your relative the headache of coping with spam. Notice: Silence unknown callers means they may miss a official name. In my expertise, an actual one that wants to achieve you’ll depart a voicemail.
To silence unknown callers on an iPhone:
• Go to Settings > Telephone > Silence Unknown Callers.
• Slide the toggle subsequent to Silence Unknown Callers.
Now, the telephone received’t ring when an unknown quantity calls. Will probably be silenced, despatched to voicemail, or displayed on the Recents record. Incoming calls from acquainted numbers will nonetheless ring as normal.
You can too conceal texts from unknown reminders. Right here’s how:
• Go to Settings > Messages.
• Slide the toggle subsequent to Filter Unknown Senders.
Right here’s how one can block calls from unknown callers on an Android telephone:
• First, faucet the Telephone icon on the backside of the display screen.
• Within the top-right nook, faucet the three-dot menu.
• Choose Settings > Blocked Numbers.
• Slide the toggle subsequent to Block Calls From Unidentified Callers.
Arm the susceptible folks in your life with data. Faucet or click on right here to keep away from scammers’ hottest techniques to idiot older folks.
Maintain your tech-know going
My standard podcast known as “Kim Komando Right this moment.” It’s a strong half-hour of tech information, ideas, and callers with tech questions such as you from everywhere in the nation. Seek for it wherever you get your podcasts. To your comfort, hit the hyperlink under for a current episode.
In half-hour, you will be taught 1: What apps to obtain earlier than vacation journey, 2: The best way to add your driver’s license to your telephone’s pockets, and three: The best way to win a $100 Amazon reward card.
Study all the newest expertise on the Kim Komando Present, the nation’s largest weekend radio speak present. Kim takes calls and dispenses recommendation on at this time’s digital way of life, from smartphones and tablets to on-line privateness and knowledge hacks. For her every day ideas, free newsletters and extra, go to her web site at Komando.com.
The views and opinions expressed on this column are the writer’s and don’t essentially mirror these of USA TODAY.