In relation to client tech, there’s an enormous listing of issues that may drive us all bananas.
Take your sluggish Wi-Fi. You’ll be able to’t stream, you possibly can’t be a part of a video assembly, and it at all times occurs on the worst time. Faucet or click on for intelligent methods to hurry up your own home’s connection.
What about wading via 1000’s of images, on the lookout for the one you need? Faucet or click on for a fast shortcut, together with 4 extra good tech fixes – like a hidden approach to know a scammer is asking with out choosing up your telephone.
Our smartphones assist us get a ton achieved, however that doesn’t imply we don’t wish to chuck them out the window typically. Listed here are the highest complaints I hear about and methods to repair them:
1. Your display screen brightness retains altering
Apple’s Face ID does greater than unlock your telephone. It can also inform whenever you’re being attentive to your telephone. If you happen to look away, your display screen dims, and your alert quantity additionally decreases.
The fluctuating brightness could be irritating. You’ll be able to change this characteristic off.
• Go to Settings > Accessibility > Face ID & Consideration.
• Flip off Consideration Conscious Options.
On Android, adaptive brightness or auto-brightness makes use of a sensor to regulate the display screen based mostly in your atmosphere. Generally it really works properly, however not at all times.
Steps will fluctuate based mostly in your telephone’s mannequin, however right here’s a place to begin.
• Go to Settings, then Show.
• Search for Adaptive brightness and toggle it off.
2. The particular person you’re speaking to can’t hear you
If you’re on a name, your iPhone displays the noise round you and tries to chop it down, so the particular person you are speaking to hears you higher. It’s a neat characteristic, nevertheless it may result in “Wait, what did you say?” too typically.
First, examine your microphone quantity. Press the amount up button on a name to regulate this. You’ll be able to flip off the noise cancellation characteristic if folks nonetheless have issues listening to you.
• Go to Settings > Accessibility > Audio/Visible and change off Telephone Noise Cancellation.
One other tech annoyance: 5 methods to assist Alexa, Siri, and Google Assistant to grasp you higher
3. You don’t need the bloatware
Android telephones are infamous for coming preloaded with apps you don’t need or want. These extraneous packages decelerate your telephone and devour cupboard space and battery life.
There are a couple of methods to eliminate the bloat.
Take away apps out of your Android telephone:
• Open the Google Play Retailer app.
• On the high proper, faucet your Profile icon.
• Faucet Handle apps & gadgets > Handle.
• Faucet the identify of the app you wish to delete, then choose Uninstall.
Some apps can’t be deleted. You’ll be able to disable them by long-pressing on the app and tapping the Disable choice – or you possibly can disguise them on some Android telephones.
Disguise apps by tapping and holding the app and dragging it to the underside of the display screen to the Take away from residence display screen field. This doesn’t take away or disable the app; it simply strikes it out of view.
Disguise apps out of your Samsung telephone
• Open your App drawer, then faucet the three dots within the high proper.
• Open Dwelling Display screen Settings (or simply Settings).
• Choose the Disguise apps choice.
• Select the apps you wish to disguise.
• Affirm through the Apply or Finished button.
Dropping your texts is a nightmare. Don’t be that particular person. Right here’s learn how to save textual content messages on iOS and Android earlier than it’s too late.
4. Your group textual content is just too chatty
Group messages are a implausible approach to keep in contact with family and friends, however the fixed pings could be an excessive amount of. Right here’s learn how to silence conversations in your iPhone:
• Open Messages, then faucet and maintain a dialog.
• Faucet Disguise Alerts.
• You can too do that inside the dialog by tapping the identify(s) on the high of the display screen after which switching on Disguise Alerts.
That’s a useful choice, however you’ll nonetheless get notifications if somebody mentions you in a gaggle textual content. You’ll be able to flip any such notification off too.
• Go to Settings > Messages.
• Scroll right down to Mentions and change off Notify Me.
On Android, steps to cover dialog alerts will fluctuate based mostly in your telephone’s mannequin. Do this:
• Open Messages, then faucet and maintain a dialog.
• Faucet the three-dot icon within the high proper nook.
• Choose Mute notifications to open up settings for that contact or dialog.
5. You miss the house button
The iPhone 8 was the final mannequin with a house button. That was a very long time in the past, however I do know change is tough, and you continue to may miss it. You’ll be able to’t set up a bodily residence button in your telephone, however there is a characteristic that permits you to come shut:
• Go to Settings > Accessibility > Contact > AssistiveTouch.
• Flip on AssistiveTouch. A button will seem in your display screen.
• Below Customized Actions, change Single-Faucet, Double-Faucet and Lengthy Press settings.
• If you’d like the closest residence button expertise, set Single-Faucet to Dwelling, then drag the button to the middle-bottom of your display screen.
• Now, everytime you faucet that digital button, you’ll be taken to your own home display screen. Neat!
Hold your tech-know going
My fashionable podcast known as “Kim Komando Right this moment.” It’s a strong half-hour of tech information, suggestions, and callers with tech questions such as you from all around the nation. Seek for it wherever you get your podcasts. To your comfort, hit the hyperlink beneath for a latest episode.
PODCAST PICK: Amazon police plans, flying taxis, robotic manicures
On this episode, get a $10 manicure from a robotic, change this secret Google Maps setting, and be careful for flying taxis. Plus, Amazon exams police stations as bundle pickup factors, working-from-home jobs that pay $20/hour, and YouTube will let creators provide paid video programs subsequent 12 months.
Take heed to the podcast right here or wherever you get your podcasts. Simply seek for my final identify, “Komando.”
Study all the newest know-how on the Kim Komando Present, the nation’s largest weekend radio speak present. Kim takes calls and dispenses recommendation on right now’s digital life-style, from smartphones and tablets to on-line privateness and information hacks. For her every day suggestions, free newsletters and extra, go to her web site at Komando.com.
The views and opinions expressed on this column are the creator’s and don’t essentially replicate these of USA TODAY.